Sunday, January 12, 2014

Homemade Peanut Butter Cups - First Attempt

A while back while cruising the Internets I happened to stumble upon a recipe for Homemade Peanut butter cups.  I forwarded it to a friend telling her that we needed to make these ASAP to which she heartily agreed with this statement.  Busy schedules and life events pushed this plan to the back of both of our minds, but a few days ago I was eating a peanut butter cup, left over from the holidays when the scheme to make our own popped back into the forefront of my mind.  I immediately texted my friend stating that there would be no more stalling and we would most definitely be making these the next time I saw her. Today our plans came to fruition and our first attempt at a homemade peanut butter cup came into being.

Ingredients:

  • Semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • Dark Chocolate chips
  • Skippy super crunch peanut butter 
  • Small sized paper liners
These were very easy to make.  To start we melted the the dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave. Once melted we put a dollop of chocolate into the bottom of the paper liners and let them sit until cooled.  Once the dark chocolate we used a spoon to put a small amount of the peanut butter into the cups. Finally we melted the semi-sweet chocolate using the same method as before and poured it on top of the peanut butter filling the paper cut.  Let them set for a while until hardened.  I actually placed them in the freezer to cool quicker.  Overall time it took to make them was only a few minutes of actual work, the rest is just waiting for the chocolate to set and to try to keep from eating it before they were fully cooled. 

Results: 
As you can see from the picture the peanut butter cups are not the most aesthetically pleasing of snacks, but they tasted pretty good.  I'm a fan of semi-sweet and dark chocolate, but you could always use milk chocolate or pretty much any other type if that is what you want to do.  In the future I would probably have done a better job of filling the bottoms of the paper liners to make them more uniform.  Also I found that the peanut butter that I used because it was what I happened to have on had at the time was a little too sweet with the chocolate.  I might try a peanut butter with less sugar in it instead.  Overall they were pretty tasty and I look forward to a second attempt in the future.  


No comments: