Sunday, November 18, 2012

Harvest Berry Crisp


Last week I was in mood for apple crisp, but I couldn't find any apples that looked good at the store.  So I decided to experiment and try something else.  What I made instead was what I like to call my Harvest Berry Crisp.  It uses mixed berries which on their own can be a little tart but with the crisp added on I found really delicious.  Here is what I did.




Ingredients 
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 cup packed of brown sugar 
3/4 cups of granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 cup of oatmeal
2 sticks of butter
2 bags of frozen mixed berries
1 apple
1 tablespoon cinnamon 
Dash of allpice
1 teaspoon of ginger 

  • Step 1
  • Let bags of frozen berries defrost. You want to make sure extra water from any ice crystals don't get mixed in because otherwise the fruit can get a little soupy.  Pour the froze berries into glass baking dish (9x9 or 8x8). 
  • Cut up apple into tiny bits and add to berries.  Sprinkle sugar and flour over fruit and mix around so that it is well mixed. 
Step 2
In separate bowl melt butter and mix with flour, brown sugar, the rest of the white sugar, oatmeal, salt, and spices. You may need to add a bit more oatmeal into the mix depending on how it looks.  This is not an exact science.  

Step 3
Put crisp mixture over the fruit mixture in the baking dish.  Make sure to cover all of the fruit  

Step 4
Put in preheated over(375F) and let bake for 35-40 minutes. 

Step 5
Serve with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. 

Note:  This recipe is not an exact science, and as long as it doesn't burn I don't think you can ruin it. The mixed berries taste great. In this case I used a bag of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries.  I think maybe adding fresh pitted cherries would be the final touch to make this perfect.   It keeps well for a few days in the refrigerator and smells amazing. 

 

1 comment:

Deb said...

Sounds yummy. Maybe we should start a new Thanksgiving Day tradition.

Since when did you become such a recipe developer and commentator.