Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Reply from Representative Jim McGovern



Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 3261, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) .  Freedom of speech and consumer protection  are important to me, and I appreciate hearing from you on this  important issue.

As you k now, SOPA aims to combat online piracy by authorizing the Attorney General to seek court orders against foreign infringing sites that are committing or facilitating trademark and copyright infringement.  While I do believe that internet piracy is an issue that should be addressed, SOPA, as written, runs counter to what I believe are fundamental rights for all Americans.  I plan on voting against the legislation in its current form, although   leadership in the U.S. House of Representatives has indicated that this particular bill will not reach the floor for a vote.

Currently, H.R. 3261 awaits further consideration by the H ouse Committee on the Judiciary.  The Committee began consideration of the legislation in December, and plans to continue its deliberations in February.  As online piracy issues continue to be discussed, please know that I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Once again,  I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.  Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future regarding this or any other matter of concern.   


Sincerely,

Jim McGovern
Member of Congress

No comments: